Chinese smartphone maker Vivo has launched two new flagship devices:
the Vivo Nex A and Vivo Nex S in China on June 12.
The Nex builds on Vivo’s Apex concept smartphone which features a pop-up selfie camera and true bezel-less design at the front.
The Nex shows the technical advancements that Chinese smartphone makers have achieved in the past few years.
At its Shanghai event, Vivo announced that Nex will come in two variants that differ in terms of technology and performance.
The two variants are the Vivo Nex S with Snapdragon 845 SoC and an affordable Vivo Nex A with Snapdragon 710.
The smartphone is also the most premium device yet from the Chinese smartphone maker.
Both phones come with the elevating or pop-up selfie camera, and thanks to this, both phones have a 91.24 percent screen-to-body ratio.
Both the Vivo Nex S and Nex A come with a new UI called Energy UI with a Red coloured theme.
The handsets also include the Jovi AI assistant, that boasts of features such as NLU (natural language understanding), ASR (automatic speech recognition), emotion detection, text-to-speech, and others. The smartphones will come with a dedicated Jovi AI assistant button.
Vivo Nex, Nex S Specifications
With features like in-display fingerprint sensor, retractable selfie camera and “screen soundcasting technology” wherein the screen vibrates to create sound, the smartphone became the talk of town.
- The phone comes with a 6.59-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 2316 pixels.
- The Vivo Nex S is powered by 2.2GHz octa-core processor and it comes with 8GB of RAM.
- The phone packs 128GB of internal storage.
- As far as the cameras are concerned, the Vivo Nex S packs a 12-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 8-megapixel front shooter for selfies.
- The Vivo Nex S runs Android 8.1 Oreo and is powered by a 4000mAh.
- It measures 162.00 x 77.00 x 7.98 (height x width x thickness) .
- The Vivo Nex S is a dual SIM (GSM and GSM) smartphone.
- Connectivity options include Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, USB OTG and 4G.
- Sensors on the phone include Proximity sensor, Accelerometer and Ambient light sensor.
- The dual-SIM Vivo Nex A (Nano) runs Funtouch OS 4.0 based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
- The handset features the same 6.59-inch full-HD+ (1080×2316 pixels) Super AMOLED display with a 19.3:9 aspect ratio.
- It is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 710 processor, paired with 6GB of RAM.
- In terms of optics, the Vivo Nex A comes with the same rear and front camera setups.
- The Vivo Nex A is equipped with a 128GB of inbuilt storage.
- It has the same dimensions, connectivity options, and battery capacity as the Nex S.
Camera and Audio
Vivo claims that the Nex’s camera features AI-powered features, filters, and an HDR mode. The camera also supports DCI-P3 colour gamut.
The Vivo Nex S and Nex A also feature 7.1-channel 3D audio. It is optimised to run games made using Unreal Engine.
It also has a Vivo Game Engine, made in partnership with Tencent Games.
One of the most interesting new feature in the Vivo Nex S and Nex A is the Screen SoundCasting technology. It replaces the earpiece from the front side to achieve a bezel-less display.
It leverages screen vibrations through a micro-vibration unit to generate the sound – similar to the first generation Mi Mix bezel-less smartphone. The mouthpiece appears to be placed in the lower bezel.
Vivo Nex S, Nex A price
Vivo Nex A with 6GB RAM + 128GB inbuilt storage has been priced at CNY 3,898 (roughly Rs. 41,000).
Meanwhile the Vivo Nex S with 8GB RAM + 128GB inbuilt storage will be available at CNY 4,498 (roughly Rs. 47,400) and the 8GB + 256GB inbuilt storage variant has been priced at CNY 4,998 (roughly Rs. 52,600).
Both smartphones will be available in Black and Red colour variants, though the top-end 8GB RAM/ 256GB storage variant will only be available in Black.
They will go on sale from June 23.